Kim hosts popular South Korean fashion and beauty TV shows in both English and Korean and has also collaborated with K-Pop stars - highly regarded by the younger generation.
'K-pop' or Korean pop culture is the metro-sexual appeal of South Korean boy bands like 2PM, Big Bang and Super Junior that utilize their celebrity status to access, tap or break into foreign markets or indeed endorse cosmetic products in Asia.
As part of this deal, Irene Kim will work with Estée Lauder on 'how-to' videos, predicting the next big trend in Korean beauty and potentially consulting on product development.
“Fusing the best of eastern and western beauty tips and techniques, Irene has quickly become an influential beauty voice to an Asian and international audience across her social media platforms,” say Estée Lauder reps.
“She will further communicate her passion for beauty by creating engaging beauty content for the brand’s online and social media platforms,” they say.
In Asia, more and more consumers have turned to social media for guidance on trends and style. In fact, 40 per cent of China's online shoppers read and post reviews about products – more than double the number in the US.
According to our Asia cosmetics expert, Florence Bernardin, the following bloggers have also had significant influence on cosmetics buying behaviors in China, Japan and Korea in 2015.
1. China – 久久妹妹 Jiujiu Meimei
This Chinese beauty blogger is also a fashion editor working with brands and beauty magazines as well as participating in a renowned TV program ‘Pretty Women’.
- Weibo address: http://weibo.com/793099
- Fan numbers: 445198
- Promotional activities, the latest brand information
- Make-up tutorials, product promotion, product review, test results, recommendations
- Brand collaboration: La Prairie, Chanel, Esteelauder, LaMer, Fresh, Clinique, Naruko, Giorgio Armani, Bobbibrown, Mac, Jurique
2. Japan - Megumi Kanzaki
This beauty stylist only tends to give coverage to the good experiences she's had with tried and tested products. Her philosophy is supported by women of all ages.
- She has written several books, and also has a column in BITEKI, one of Asia's famous beauty magazines - Megumi's style is mixed; Kawaii, feminine, sexy
- Blog (http://ameblo.jp/kanzakimegumi/ : 20569 followers since 2009
- Twitter (https://twitter.com/megumi_kanzaki): 20200 followers
3. Korea – Pony
This renowned make-up artist & beauty blogger recreates various celebrities looks and logs videos on Youtube in the form of 'Pony’s Beauty Diary'
– Total visitors: 4 045 094 (http://blog.naver.com/highkick_)
– Provides beauty tips, cosmetics reviews
– Published many beauty looks in Korea, China, Taiwan…
– Launched 'Pony Memebox' by collaborating with sample box beauty service company, Memebox.