The ingredients, featured in the exhibition’s Innovation Zone, have been nominated across two categories – active and functional.
The awards reward the nominated companies for their ability to pair scientific achievement with formulation benefits for manufacturers and efficacy for consumers when compared to other products currently available on the market.
Last year’s winner of both the Gold Active award and Gold functional award was Lucas Meyer for its active Exo-P and functional Lecigel with Happiness in a Jar.
Active ingredients finalists
- Aquatide by AH&NS - developed from a resveratrol-like structure with amino acids of Skin NMF, using the concept of a ‘skincare vaccine’ for epigenetic stress management. Recommended applications are use as a morning toner, refreshing night mask or cellular booster essence to aid skin recovery from epigenetic bio-stress.
- CobioDefender EMR by Cobiosa - a concentrated solution of highly purified glycogen from marine origin. The ingredient is proven to protect and prevent skin damage (ex-vivo/in-vitro) after EMR and blue light exposition, neutralising oxidative stress, reducing apoptotic cells and protecting against structural changes. It also addresses cellular epigenetic rejuvenation by regulating microRNA expression and senescence epigenetic modifications (in-vitro). It is the first active ingredient focused on reducing biological skin disorders resulting from the impact of digital premature aging.
- Defenscalp by Lucas Meyer Cosmetics - Extracted from fireweed and titrated in oenothein B polyphenols, Defenscalp is a multifunctional plant-derived ingredient designed to naturally regulate the malassezia responsible for dandruff, while preserving the scalp’s microbiota ecosystem.
- Liftonin-Xpert by Rahn - an intelligent collagen booster from the leaf sap of the South African medical plant Bulbine frutescens. Its active substances knipholone and acetylated polymannose, recalibrates the equilibrium between decomposition and reconstruction of dermal structures, providing the skin with collagen. It is used in a variety of applications including wrinkle fillers, stretch mark products and nail care.
- Filmexel by SILAB - a natural film-forming biopolymer providing a biomimetic network of cutaneous tissue at the surface of the skin. It is resistant, flexible and non-occlusive, protecting it from harmful exogenous agents. Its smoothing and anti-wrinkle effects have been proven in various formulas. The product appeals to two of APAC’s most prominent markets - the naturals and anti-aging sectors.
Functional ingredients finalists
- ElfaMoist by Akzo Nobel Surface Chemistry - a new active that easily penetrates inside the skin (stratum corneum) and delivers and increases hydration, keeping skin moisturised for over 30 hours and performs without disrupting the skin barrier. ElfaMoist Humectant is patent pending.
- Cosphagard Pretec by Cosphatec - a preservative blend that can be used to replace preservatives such as parabens. The synergistic effects of the ingredients give this blend a strong efficiency against bacteria, yeasts and moulds in low concentrations and can be used in all kinds of cosmetic formulations including sensitive skin products and baby care.
- TEGO Solve 55 by Evonik Personal Care - a new generation, multifunctional solubilizer for natural cosmetics. PEG- and preservative-free, it is produced fully based on renewable raw materials, is readily biodegradable and uses up to approximately 50% less solubiliser.
- C145 by Oleon - a combination of emulsifiers providing a basic solution in formulating a single step multiple emulsion. It has a wide-ranging application from skincare to high-end colour cosmetics.
- Emogreen by Seppic Asia - a range of bio-based emollients connected to your emotions. The high purity, extra fluid biodegradable oils are from a traceable vegetable origin. Emogreen is suitable for versatile applications including skincare, haircare, make up, suncare and colour cosmetics, among others.
The finalists were selected by a panel of industry experts including Belinda Carli, Director of the Institute of Personal Care Science; Barbara Olioso, Founder of The Green Chemist Consultancy and a professional “green” chemist with 18 years’ experience in the development of natural and organic cosmetics; Jack Ferguson, Managing Director of Skinnovation and an independent consultant to the cosmetics industry and Muriel Pujos, Director of Scientific Coordination Multi Brands at Coty.
Gold, Silver and Bronze winners in each category will be announced at a ceremony taking place on Wednesday 9th November from 2-3pm at the Innovation Zone at in-cosmetics Asia, Bangkok, Thailand.